Apply for a grant
The Bioscientifica Trust was established in 2016 and seeks applications for funding in the broad areas of endocrinology research and clinical delivery. We seek to support early career researchers, and clinicians in training. Funding is available in several strands, which will be considered together, and grants will be awarded in open competition.
The Bioscientifica Trust offers Standard Grants, Travel Grants and Scientific Meeting Grants.
Standard Grants will typically be for less than €5,000 / £5,000 but for exceptionally strong cases the Trustees are prepared to consider larger amounts.
We are open to any application of benefit to endocrine research or delivery of service which is:
- led by early career applicants, and
- can demonstrate academic, clinical or public benefit.
We are not looking to support applications from established post holders.
The Trust is particularly receptive to applications to provide funding for 'pump priming' projects. Standard Grants can be used to cover the costs of equipment, consumables and other non-salary expenses.
The Bioscientifica Trust is a small entity, and will not contribute to institutional overheads, staff costs, or funding of complete research projects. We encourage applications that show patient / public engagement.
We encourage applications for Travel Grants, which will typically be for less than €2,000 / £2,000, to provide support for:
- New, international collaborations and / or for the exchange of knowledge and skills, for example from:
- researchers seeking to gain experience, and build collaborative links with a different host laboratory, ideally in a different country, or
- clinical trainees seeking specific clinical training and experience in a centre of excellence, ideally in a different country.
- The dissemination of new endocrine or endocrine-related science to wider audiences, for example:
- researchers working in endocrinology seeking to present work at non-endocrine international meetings.
- non-endocrinology researchers presenting work at international endocrine meetings.
Please note that we will not support applications for grants to support endocrinologists travelling to national or international endocrine meetings. Such grants are available from national and international learned societies.
Scientific Meeting Grants
Scientific Meeting Grants are grants of up to €10,000 / £10,000 made to support small (10-20 attendees), tightly focused meetings on specific topics. Research active institutions wishing to host such a meeting are encouraged to apply for a Scientific Meeting Grant to help defray meeting costs and, in particular, travel expenditure for early career researchers.
The application process, with outline costs, is simple and must use the application form. All fields require completion. Applicants should include a brief curriculum vitae (CV) of no more than two pages. Candidates are also required to confirm that their application has the support of their supervisor / head of department and that no alternative / internal funding is available for the proposed activity. The application form and your CV should be returned by e-mail or fax.
Grants will usually be made payable to institutional accounts and should be taken up within six months of the decision date unless an extension is agreed. A requirement of the award is completion of a structured evaluation form, and all successful applications will be made available through the Bioscientifica Trust’s website in the interests of transparency.
- Only one application per person will be considered at each round
- Your application should have the support of your supervisor and funding should not be available from another source
- The Trustees are unable to enter into any correspondence regarding the outcome of the application process
- Resubmitted applications will not be considered unless explicitly requested by the Trustees
- The decision of the Trustees is final